AMAZON is reportedly working on a secretive wall-mounted Alexa device that could control users' homes.The rumoured tech is said to be in the works at
AMAZON is reportedly working on a secretive wall-mounted Alexa device that could control users’ homes.
The rumoured tech is said to be in the works at Amazon’s Lab126 hardware division.
According to Bloomberg, a person at the company told the news outlet the device is a wall mounted tablet that can be used for smart home commands.
The source wished to remain anonymous but provided key details about the rumoured product.
They said it was like a tablet that might be avaliable in one or two sizes.
Sizes could range from 10 to 13 inches.
The source also claimed the product might be launched by the end of 2022.
Prices were even suggested with $200 (£140) indicated for a smaller device and $250 (£180) for the larger one.
The description of the device sounds a lot like a wall mounted Amazon Echo Show smart speaker, which are already loved for their screen displays.
It sounds like users could program the device to control their home and give it commands just like you can ask Alexa to do things.
Some Amazon speakers already control smart home products like lights.
Fans of the infamous 1960s film ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ may be reminded of the HAL 9000 AI character that’s used to control the fictional spacecraft.
That’s not to say this rumoured Amazon device would ever glitch in similar way.
Amazon is yet to officially talk about this wall mounted AI product.
We have reached out to Amazon for confirmation on Bloomberg’s findings but it does not comment on rumours or speculation.
What is Alexa?
If you’ve never heard of Alexa, here’s what you need to know…
- Alexa is an “intelligent” personal assistant built by Amazon.
- You can find her on several different devices, including Amazon’s Echo speakers.
- Alexa responds to voice commands, and can talk back to you.
- She can perform thousands of different tasks, including telling you about the news or weather.
- But she can do more complex things too, like ordering a pizza or arranging an Uber taxi pick-up.
- To activate Alexa, you need to say “Alexa” to an Amazon Echo speaker.
- Alexa currently only works in English and German languages.
- Because she’s powered by artificial intelligence, Alexa is constantly getting smarter.
- Alexa will also get more used to your voice, and better understand what you want her to do over time.
EYE CAN’T BELIEVE IT
How many colours do YOU see? Optical illusion has divided internet
Check your Gmail and Hotmail NOW – 3billion passwords leaked online
Facebook crackdown on Covid misinformation sparks ‘freedom of speech’ fears
MUSIC TO YOUR EARS
How to get five months of FREE Apple Music with this clever trick
How to try iPhone’s new face unlock feature that works while wearing a mask
DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK
Bebo is BACK as founder reveals plan to take on Facebook
In other news, plummeting temperatures can slash battery life and even force your phone to turn off.
WhatsApp has had to delay its controversial deadline for getting users to accept new terms and conditions.
And, scam emails claiming that the recipient has been selected to receive a coronavirus vaccine have been highlighted by concerned experts.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
This post first appeared on Thesun.co.uk