CAR washes are among the services affected by Tier 4 coronavirus lockdown rules.As of midnight last night, three quarters of England are now under the
CAR washes are among the services affected by Tier 4 coronavirus lockdown rules.
As of midnight last night, three quarters of England are now under the toughest coronavirus lockdown measures.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
It comes as a new mutant strain of coronavirus believed to be at least 50% more contagious threatens to overwhelm the NHS.
Yesterday, a further 981 Covid-19 deaths were recorded – the highest daily figure since April 24, when 1,010 deaths were reported.
Now, areas including the North East and the Midlands join London and the South East in Tier 4.
Under the restrictions, households are urged to stay at home and only go outside if necessary.
Full list of areas in Tier 4
HERE is the full list of areas in Tier 4.
- Derby and Derbyshire
- Leicester City and Leicestershire
- Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
East of England
- Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes
- Essex, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock
All 32 London boroughs plus City of London
- North East (this area includes the local authorities of County Durham, Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland)
- North of Tyne (this area includes the local authorities of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside and Northumberland)
- Tees Valley (this area includes the local authorities of Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and Stockton-on-Tees)
- Greater Manchester
- Lancashire, Blackburn with Darwen, and Blackpool
- Warrington and Cheshire Region
- Brighton and Hove, East Sussex and West Sussex
- Hampshire, Southampton and Portsmouth
- Isle of Wight
- Kent and Medway
- Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
- Gloucestershire (Cheltenham, Cotswold, Forest of Dean, Gloucester City, Stroud and Tewkesbury)
- Somerset (Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, and South Somerset)
- Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
Are car washes open in Tier 4?
Automatic car washes are allowed to stay open in all places that are under Tier 4 coronavirus restrictions.
But unfortunately, manual car washes are not allowed to open over fears it could put workers at risk of catching and spreading the virus.
Many automatic car washes are located at petrol stations in the UK, which are able to open in Tier 4 because they are an essential service.
Vehicle repair, MOT services, bicycle shops, taxi services and vehicle hire businesses can also keep operating during Tier 4 lockdowns.
You can also still visit the supermarket for food and other essentials.
Are car washes open in Tier 3, 2 and 1?
The government does not specifically address car washes in its Tier 3 rules online.
But it is assumed manual car washes are allowed to stay open in Tiers 3, 2, and 1, as long as the business is abiding by Covid-secure guidelines.
Automatic car washes are allowed to remain open.
Are garden centres open in Tier 4 in England? New rules explained
MONEY MONEY MONEY
Universal Credit boost and tax hikes among key financial changes in 2021
McDonald’s fans slam new Katsu McNuggets after orders come with no curry dip
EVERY LITTLE HELPS
Tesco offers to help roll out the Oxford vaccine
MAKING A MINT
The 12 rarest and most valuable coins of 2020 and they could be worth £230
HAIR WE GO
Tier 4 lockdown rules for hairdressers explained
The Sun has contacted the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy for clarification and we will update this page when we hear back.
Garden centres can also stay open in Tier 4 areas but shoppers must social distance and wear a mask to keep shoppers and staff safe.
We explain whether DIY stores are open in Tier 4 – and the opening times of B&Q, Homebase and Wickes.