England lockdown expected early next week; US passes 9m infections; New South Wales records four new infections, Victoria one. Follow the latest:Belgi
- Belgium facing new lockdown as Germany takes in patients
- Europeans seek ways to ride out Covid winter
- ‘An operational tsunami’: preparing for a winter surge of Covid
- Paris sees record traffic jams before lockdown
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Belgium will impose tighter lockdown rules from Monday, closing non-essential businesses and restricting household visits.
“These are last-chance measures if we want to get the figures down,” said Prime Minister Alexander de Croo, warning that the new rules would stay in place for at least a month and a half.
France reported 49,215 new confirmed coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours on Friday, compared with 47,637 on Thursday.
The total number of infections rose to 1,331,984. The death tally went up by 256 over 24 hours to 36,565.