WHATSAPP has added a genius new feature that helps you free up storage on your phone.It'll track down big files that are clogging up space – and let y
WHATSAPP has added a genius new feature that helps you free up storage on your phone.
It’ll track down big files that are clogging up space – and let you delete them in seconds.
The new feature is being added this week, and will appear in the Storage part of the app.
It aims to clear up some of the likely enormous WhatsApp media collection that lives on your phone.
After all, you’ve probably got hundreds or even thousands of photos or videos sent over WhatsApp taking up valuable storage space.
The app will highlight large files that can be sorted by size in descending order.
And you’ll be able to preview those files before deleting them.
You can select just one item to delete, or multiple items to bin.
“WhatsApp has redesigned the storage management tool,” the Facebook-owned firm explained.
“To make it more useful for people to easily identify, review and bulk delete content that may be filling their phone.”
The new feature starts rolling out to users around the world this week.
That means you might not see it immediately, but don’t panic – it’ll arrive eventually.
It’s worth keeping an eye out for WhatsApp updates in the App Store or Google Play Store.
WhatsApp – a quick history
Here’s what you need to know…
- WhatsApp was created in 2009 by computer programmers Brian Acton and Jan Koum – former employees of Yahoo
- It’s one of the most popular messaging services in the world
- Koum came up with the name WhatsApp because it sounded like “what’s up”
- After a number of tweaks the app was released with a messaging component in June 2009, with 250,000 active users
- It was originally free but switched to a paid service to avoid growing too fast. Then in 2016, it became free again for all users
- Facebook bought WhatsApp Inc in February 2014 for $19.3billion (£14.64bn)
- The app is particularly popular because all messages are encrypted during transit, shutting out snoopers
- As of 2020, WhatsApp has over 2billion users globally
How to use WhatsApp storage management
To find the new feature, go to Settings > Storage & Data > Manage Storage.
You’ll be able to view the largest files and media you’ve been sent, sort them, preview them and delete them in seconds.
And don’t forget that you can delete multiple files at once, making your life much easier.
Windows WARNING after experts find bug that lets hackers take over your PC
Facebook has added a SECRET Dark Mode that only some people can get
Samsung Black Friday 2020: Live Deals
Tesco Mobile Black Friday deals include savings on the iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 11 Black Friday 2020: Best deals to look out for
WhatsApp warns your ‘disappearing messages’ can still be saved by contacts
In other news, check out our iPhone 12 review.
If you’ve got more money to burn, you’ll want to read the iPhone 12 Pro review instead.
Or you could take a gander at the Apple Watch 6 review if you’ve been thinking about upgrading your wrist.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
This post first appeared on Thesun.co.uk